Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Cheesus, I Love Thee

Apparently not everyone in the "show me" state is as hard to convince as the nickname implies. Kelly Ramey of High Ridge, MO recently opened a bag of Cheetos (presumably looking only for crunchy cheesy delectables) when she discovered the Lord of the Universe revealed therein. A seemingly ordinary sack of snack contained One very special Cheeto -- the Divine Cheeto. Cue organ music. As Mrs. Ramey feasted on the cheesy goodness one unique Cheeto caught her eye. It was wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in her fingers.

Just kidding. I made that part up, and I apologize. There is no need to get silly when discussing Jesus in Cheetos. Actually, Mrs. Ramey nearly ate the aforementioned epiphany when she noticed that her next morsel looked just like Jesus on a cross. She and her husband, unnamed in the report (which makes him the smartest person in the "news" story), named the Cheeto, "Cheesus." Perfect. I don't want you to miss this point (we preachers always have points): Mrs. Ramey actually had the courage to show Cheesus to her friends and neighbors and explain to them what she saw. In my estimation, this makes her, the boldest witness in the history of Christendom. Most agreed with her -- it looks like Jesus. Still others doubted. Go figure.

The story did not say whether Cheesus has healing abilities. You have to wonder, though. The whole thing raises for me another, less exciting question: where should we expect to find Jesus?

Enter the expert. Knowing at least that you can't leave these things in the hands of the untrained, someone in High Ridge, MO summoned the local pastor. When asked, the preacher said he saw nothing "theologically special" about the Cheeto Thank you, Cheesus. What a relief! But, does that mean there could be something theologically ordinary about the Cheeto? It's worth considering.

Anyway, Cheesus, it turns out, is not for sale. The Ramey's intend to put Cheesus in a box (don't we always?) and have him/it on display for all to enjoy. Mrs. Ramey added, "I think the bottom line is the joy that it is bringing; I really do." Maybe she's right, but I disagree. To me, the bottom line is that they are cooked to a crackly crunch and are yummy beyond description.

Of course, people have seen Jesus in a lot of things over the years. I once served in a church camp where kids were encouraged to see Jesus in everything -- Jesus in the bark of a tree, Jesus in the dung left by wild animals (it was a raccoon), Jesus in the gravel dumped the day before by a big truck, and Jesus in weeds winding their way up a pole. So, to me, seeing Jesus in Cheesus is not so big a stretch. Isn't that the way God works? Always surprising us and appearing where we'd expect him least.

Call me a fundy and hand me a big black Bible, but my suggestion is that, instead of looking for Jesus in Cheetos and raccoon poo, we might try seeing him in the poor. Take the Cheeto (or maybe something a tad more nutritious) and hand it to the homeless man sitting by the curb. Make some sandwiches and deliver them to a shelter. You may well be surprised whose face you see there. While we're at it, maybe we should also look to see Jesus in the word of Scripture. It is a dusty, archaic old book, but it has served us well for a long time and delivers far more nutrition at funerals than Cheetos.

Someone said of the whole Cheeto ordeal, "This is not a divine discovery, but some good could come from all of this." Um, I'm not so sure. Especially not if you swallow it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Randy - good job with a delectable topic. Uh, delicate topic.

Anonymous said...

Okay, first Armour of God pj's (which I promised myself I wasn't going to comment on so as not to offend anyone who thought they were cool), and now "Cheesus" (don't care if you're offended, it's just dumb). Are we really able to sum up our the creator of all, and the son who died for our sins in tacky nightwear and a fattening high calorie snack? It makes my heart hurt, really. I wonder how willing those who come up with these things would be to see Jesus in a homeless person, or go out of their way to help someone they didn't know, or witness to God's goodness and grace or defend someone who is being mistreated. I would much rather see them write those stories; to be inspired by those encounters with the Divine. I certainly do not want to sound like I'm on a bible bangin' soap box, but these things make christians seem so silly and foolish and it just seems beneath us.

Randy Barnhart said...

Theresa,

It's much more appealing (not to mention less dangerous) to experience Jesus the Cheeto than Jesus with bad teeth and needing a bath, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Seems like this is your current face of Jesus, in the "poor." I can understand that, with the work you have been doing with this group undoubtedly making an impression on you. However, I think we kind of discussed this during our recent :Shack" book review. We talked about how everyone has a different sense of Jesus in our lives and how the intention is for Him to be omnipresent. Our daughter saw God following us down the road was one example,
Considering that I spend so much of my days in "the world" I can only hope that as I look longingly at my potato chips (my favorite vice) that I will be so in the spirit that I will see the sweet gaze of Jesus looking back at me. Maybe I won't sell it on ebay or tell anyone besides my husband and LIFE group or Sunday school, but I can only hope that I see Jesus in everything that comes my way. (not likely cheetos, since I can't stand the cheesy aftermath, but perhaps a fried spiritual spud).

Randy Barnhart said...

LOL, Theresa you crack me up. I never thought of you being on a "on a bible bangin' soap box." You're not a closet fundamentalist are you? ;)

I agree that this sort of thing makes us look like kooks. People (some, anyway) tend to lump all Christians together, you, me and the Cheesus freaks!

Randy Barnhart said...

Jennifer,

It's kind of late and I've been at it a long time today, so if this response makes little sense, or if I've misunderstood you, please pardon me!

I know it probably seems like my Jesus du jour is the Jesus of the poor, but I hope that's not the case. For a very long time I have been impressed with two things I see in the NT: 1) Jesus has a special place in his heart for the poor, and 2) Jesus says that when we feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the imprisoned, etc. we are ministering directly to him.

So, I don't think my work (and it has been very modest) with the poor has made such an impression that on me that I now see Jesus in them. Rather it is his promise that has opened my eyes to His presence. That is to say, Jesus is uniquely present in the poor, and when we serve the poor we are actually serving Christ. I'd respond to the rest of your very interesting post, but my brain is fuzzy, LOL!