Friday, June 27, 2008

Beware of Dogma?

Most of you probably don't read such high-brow social commentary and theology as that found in the National Enquirer. That's okay, because I do, and I promise to keep you informed. Maybe you saw this cover in the supermarket. Take a good look. No, not at Kirstie Alley's now famously fluctuating waistline, and not at the story of the sad departure of Tim Russert. Just between Alley and Russert there is a story entitled, "World's Only Church for Dogs."

A church for dogs? I'd never heard of such a thing (despite what you might think given our annual blessing of the pets), so I decided to investigate. After a few Google searches - sure enough - I found a story on a church just for dogs. I found some other interesting things, too. I found the Virtual Church of the Blind Chihuahua. There was also a headline that read something like, "Legal Woes Dog Church," but after staring at it for a few minutes I discerned that it was talking about something altogether different. There were the usual sites with Pet Blessings and stuff, along with lots of people wanting to know if their dog went to heaven (and lots more people to reassure them that they had).

All this thinking about dogs and church caused me to reflect on my two Labs. I must admit that my two dogs, "Seven" and "Comet" do not go to church willingly, and I am pretty sure they are sinners of the worst sort. My guess is they are in serious jeopardy. They run away whenever they can. They bark at night - a lot. They never, ever share with each other. They sniff perfect strangers in highly inappropriate ways. They have even been known to express amorous intentions with the leg of just about anyone who stands still and appears willing. Yes, my dogs need church. Once a year for the PCC Pet Blessing/Animal Baptism doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Question is, what church will take them?

Which brings us back to the "World's Only Church for Dogs." It was founded by a Vermont artist, Stephen Huneck, whose five dogs kept him company during a long and difficult illness. He built a chapel in their honor, complete with stained glass and everything. Even little doggie pews. "I want dogs and people to feel as if they are in a cathedral," he said. The ecumenically minded church has no formal creeds, and dogs of all faiths are welcome. It's hard to envision, but from what I've read they simply throw the doors of the dog-cathedral wide open and allow dogs of all sorts, smelly ones, big ones, little fluffy French ones, dogs from the AKC and dogs with questionable pedigrees, even God-awful strays -- all of them are invited in. Now, that's what I call a church. An amazing place -- where any ol' dog who shows up is truly welcome.

2 comments:

Ark Lady said...

Cute commentary. I included the Dog Church in Vermont in my book about animal blessings and keep my eyes open for articles and posts about contemporary critter ceremonies...sounds like you better get your pets to church quick! (g) Stop by if you have a minute and leave me a comment: http://www.blessingoftheanimals.com

Randy Barnhart said...

Ark Lady,

I'm pretty sure it'll take an Old Testament miracle for my dogs to find the straight and narrow. The miracle, of course, would be a dramatic change in their owners (and that's not terribly likely).

I do plan to visit your site, blessingoftheanimals.com. Thanks for commenting. Maybe you can give us some fresh ideas for our Festival of St. Francis and Blessing of the Pets.