Saturday, June 14, 2008

So, how was your weekend?


Mine got a little interesting early Friday evening. I spent the day Friday at the theological library at Emory University. At a few minutes before 5:00PM I had an arm full of books and was walking back to my desk when the lights went out. The library was closing -- not what I was counting on.

So on an evening when I thought I'd be safely tucked away in a stack of books I was on my way home fighting Atlanta traffic. Little did I know!

Just after I turned onto West Wesley Rd. off of Moore's Mill a pick up truck moving at excessive speed swerved across the double lines and gave me a little kiss on the mouth. The other driver walked away. I walked away. And Friday the 13th became a really, really good day.

I don't want to jump to conclusions or make easy comments about "God watching over me" or speak too freely about how my walking away is "proof of God's goodness" or His love. I, like you, have known too many people who did not walk away. I've buried youngsters whose parents had to be pried off the coffin so we could have a funeral. Was God not watching over them? Was God not good then? Had I not walked away from this accident on Friday the 13th, would my family and friends still speak of "God watching over me" or of "God's goodness"? I believe so. I hope so.

When the lights went out in Pitts Theological Library yesterday afternoon I told the nice young lady who was closing up the place that a graduate school library should stay open late on weekends. I was right.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thankful you are all safe hope that your weekend has no more of that sort of challenge.
I have not asked why a lot when it comes to problems or sadness.I try to trust in his big vision that I might not. Unerstand at thia point in time but know that his goodness will prevail.

Lisa said...

We are all truly thankful that no one was hurt and trust that something good will come of this - didn't you just tell me you were talking to the boys about getting a Volvo? :-) I hear they're pretty safe ...

Unknown said...

"A little kiss on the mouth"? See, PDAs are not good. Next time, just say "no". (In all seriousness, we are truly grateful that you were not hurt.)

lamar said...

Wow, you didn't mention that Sunday. Great sermon by the way. Thanks for being a good sport and not bashing Father's Day too much. They should turn W.Wesley into a cul de sac. Once I was making a left when a moving van with a platform on the back made a right and sliced the corner of my van in two. The guy didn't even notice and went on down the road to his moving job! Glad no one was hurt.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was some kiss!! So happy that you're okay.

Great sermon on Sunday Randy,

Ronn and I talked about throughout the day. You inspire me to try and walk my walk better everyday.

Thanks for that!

Theresa

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm so glad you are OK!
Hey, since I'm laid up too - you can come hang out with me!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow Randy - I am so glad you're okay. Just shows we all need to be praying for each other all the time. Great sermon on Sunday, of course. Your preaching is always not to be missed.

I hope things are going well for you.

Molly

Anonymous said...

Thank "goodness" original sin translated across the eons to a damaged lung choker and not a damaged life/body!

I have a minivan for sale (just kidding).

gearless said...

Love the real-life application. Really love that my Brother wasn't hurt.